Why are the Municipal Plans for the reduction of greenhouse gas emissions and adaptation to climate change necessary?
Climate change is a fact and its consequences are a challenge for cities, society and the environment. A large part of the activities related to the fight against climate change are implemented through municipal plans and programs, and are implemented through local projects and initiatives. Until now, policy-making at both national and local levels has mainly concerned the identification and implementation of measures to mitigate the effects of climate change, rather than adaptation to it.
Within the Black Sea Electromobility project, individual Plans for reducing greenhouse gas emissions and adapting to climate change will be developed for each of the partner municipalities of Kavarna, Byala, Dulgopol, Dolni Chiflik, Nessebar and Primorsko.
These municipal plans are essential for regulating and addressing climate change challenges at the local level. The plan will determine the potential risks for the municipality from changing climate conditions, will define specific effective and innovative measures for adaptation to climate change until 2030.
Here are some of the reasons why Municipal Greenhouse Gas Reduction and Climate Change Adaptation Plans are essential:
- Creating sustainable infrastructure: Plans to reduce greenhouse gas emissions help create infrastructure that is more sustainable and efficient in terms of energy efficiency. This could include transitioning to renewable energy sources, improving public transport and developing energy-efficient buildings.
- Protecting Community Resources: Plans help protect natural resources and ecosystems in the community by ensuring sustainable use of land, water and air.
- Prepare for the consequences of climate change: Climate change adaptation plans are necessary to prevent the negative consequences of extreme weather events, such as floods, forest fires, drought and others.
- Improving the health and well-being of citizens: The measures envisaged in the plans can contribute to improving air quality and reducing pollution, leading to an improvement in the health of citizens.
- Effective use of financial resources: The plans help set priorities and direct resources to projects that have the greatest potential to reduce emissions and adapt to climate change.
Municipal plans also support the implementation of national and international commitments to combat climate change and reduce greenhouse gas emissions.